Well I obviously have not posted anything new for while and I am sure that everyone has been asking themselves what will chap his ass next. Today I am going to answer that question for you. Now I am not claiming that I in any way know how to accomplish every task that someone presents me with, but I am reasonably sure that I can figure out most average problems that occur on a day to day basis. I have come to discover lately that most people can’t figure out the average problem presented to them. This is of course why incompetence chaps my ass.
Where do I come across incompetence? Everywhere. Under what circumstances do I come across it the most? Driving. Now I could easily devote about four blog posts ripping to shreds those moronic, fat, cigarette smoking, stupid women (sorry, but most often this holds true), but that is neither here nor there. Well actually it is here, but I would rather rant about other situations of incompetence as well.
One place that you witness a lot of incompetence is at the wonderful FU. In my experience this incompetence has not occurred in the classroom, but in dealing with the group of bozos in the housing office. Why are these people so incompetent? It probably has to do with the fact that they base their policies off of what they think “works” rather than listening to the students. I can see how that could be a foolish idea though. I mean listening to students…I guess that is just too smart for them. The incompetence in this department does not end with the fact that they are completely out of touch with the students…it goes much deeper. How deep you ask? How about forcing unpaid labor so the employees they do pay can smoke outside all day. They feel it is necessary to force students to clean, not just get rid of their stuff at the end of the year, but clean their room upon moving out. Now this could almost be accepted if they actually had the places clean when we moved in instead of having to deal with the dust bunny infestation. So after they are too lazy to at least clean the place up a little bit, they then expect you to pay for random damages that four students before you have already paid. But the damages are so clearly “new” after you have been living there that they might as well pick up an extra $125 per student. So FU all the time right back at you housing.
Incompetence can be found in one’s own home too. Now people over the age of fifty have an excuse to struggle with technology occasionally as they did not have the privilege of growing up with such things. However, this excuse goes right out the window when there is just a complete lack of effort to try to figure out a problem. The solution: just guess at it and figure it out. This section is rather brief as I do not want to offend individuals both under and over the age of fifty who have struggled with technology. However, I will share with you my favorite solution to a problem. Turn it on.
Now we come back to the driving. Is it really that hard to drive in the right lane if you are going at or under the speed limit? Is it that much extra effort for someone to turn right on red? Is it impossible to simply pay attention to the task at hand instead of trying to do five other things? The answer, thanks to a failure on the part of 90 percent of society, is yes. One part people mixed with one part motor vehicle is the simplest recipe for incompetence…or maybe just plain stupidity.
Even though I have gone through just a sample of my issues with incompetence I have yet to entirely explain why it chaps my ass so much. The explanation really is quite simple. Most of the time when I am using my problem solving skills or attempting to simply perform any given task, I am guessing as to what the solution might be or just doing the task the correct way, but nevertheless I am putting forth some sort of effort. The root cause of most incompetence is a complete lack of effort, which could easily be solved if people were not so lazy and actually did something productive with their insignificant lives. Putting forth even the smallest amount of effort can effectively eradicate I would guess 75% of most incompetence. However, there are just some failures of people out there to make sure that remaining 25% sticks around.
(Note: In writing this post I did a Google image search for incompetence…the picture that appears most frequently is of Barack Obama)